Property management can be difficult, particularly if you do it on your own. Many property owners tend to disregard Detroit property evaluations. If you do, then you are putting yourself and your tenants at risk. One of the many reasons that we have become the leading property management company is that we conduct regular Detroit property evaluations of both the inside and outside of our managed properties. This task often saves both time and money.
When our property management professionals perform property evaluations, we get the job finished correctly. While at the rental house, we make sure that your investment property is in solid condition by evaluating and verifying the following aspects:
- Plumbing- Check for any noticeable leaks. Make sure that the water heater is functioning properly.
- Appliances- Confirm that the furnace, air conditioner, and any other major appliances are in solid working condition.
- Proactive Maintenance– See to any needed repairs before they become worse and cost even more.
- Ensure Lease Compliance– Check the number of occupants in the home. Check the number and types of pets on the property. Check to see whether smoking has occurred (if restricted).
- Ensure that detector batteries are fresh and filters are changed.
- Document any issues with lease compliance after the evaluation has been completed.
Conducting regular Detroit property evaluations demonstrates to residents that management cares about the property, and the residents are likely to follow the example. An evaluation schedule can be communicated to new residents upon lease signing. When advance notice is given, many residents are fine with going through an evaluation to keep their living space in good working condition.
When should the first evaluation take place? During move in. We walk through the home with the new resident and document any existing damage and take pictures to put on file. All pictures taken during our Detroit property evaluations are then uploaded to the owner and tenant portal to keep communication transparent.
During the regularly scheduled property evaluations, our property management professionals check lease compliance, check for any new damage that may have occurred to the property, and check for maintenance issues that need attention. This type of evaluation can take place at least semi-annually.
A final walk through is done when a tenant moves out of the property. This is the final opportunity to do a walk through the property with the resident and take note of the condition it is being left in. We also take supporting pictures and notes and these are recorded in the home owner and tenant online portal.
Through the inclusion of regular Detroit property evaluations as part of the rental agreement, property owners can help protect their investment from damage and help keep their tenants happy.